Recap Written By: Derek Nest, CliftonLarsonAllen
At the beginning of the meeting we discussed “Our Story So Far” and met in groups to collaborate on the things we’ve done so far and what we would like to do in the future.
Betty Kitzerow: Family Crisis Center
Paula Erickson: Portage County Dressed for Work Association Inc.
Holly Beauvais: Key Components to a Good Life
Welcome to Mid-State – provided an overview of Mid-State Tech and its offerings of 2 year degrees in addition to the many different classes they offer to the public.
Jenny – Skyward Team Leader, also owns a Photography Business
Eva – UWSP College of Professional Studies, Marketing and Communication
***Ideas – Going out for Drinks and starting a Facebook group. Maybe even Kickball tournament in May.
Midway Eval – Common theme was that everyone would like more time to discuss and dive in deeper to review the common themes of the sessions so far. In small groups we answered the following questions:
1.) What is an “Ah-Ha” Moment you’ve had?
2.) As a result of LPC, I will commit to…?
3.) What resources do you need to move forward?
Educational Leadership Roundtables
Todd Huspeni – Associate Vice Chancellor @ UWSP
John Vollendorf – Principal @ SPASH
Volker Gaul – Campus Dean @ Mid-State Technical College
Larry Theiss – Principal @ Pacelli High School
Kathy Davies – Building Better Boards
Governance Board – Exec Director Operates based on Guidance of the Board
Advisory Board – Strategic Plan put in place, then board supports that plan
Did a great job going through and explaining expectations and commitments. Addressed numerous issues you should familiarize yourself with when joining a board and any pitfalls to avoid.
Dan Lathrop – Point of Discovery School (Grades 6-9)
Discussed that the current school format is great for passing tests, but once you move on and graduate, the more important things tend to be 1) the quality of your work, 2) workforce/college/citizen readiness, and 3) Character.
Currently enrolls 100 students, might be up to 125 next year. They are part of the school district, funded the same way. 15-20% of their students are from open-enrollment in the surrounding areas.
Mary Ann – Building your Assets
Discussed the 40 building blocks (Assets).
Average kid has an average of 15 assets initially
Has been a part of a community-wide initiative
Shannon Semmerling – Network & Relationship Building
– Started business in 2014, Ask Shannon PR, LLC
– Networking isn’t about getting cards and talking, it’s about finding out what you can do for others
– Reviewed Ted Talks with Amy Cuddy about Body Language
– Went over words to eliminate from your vocabulary when networking and the words to replace them with (i.e. “But” to “AND”)
– Went over “7 Ways to Make Small Talk More Interesting” and “7 Ways to Be More Interesting”
– Went through the “What Do You Do” routine and discussed 45 questions to get past the generic small talk
– Shannon also provided us a list of books to read to help us with our networking and relationship building